Filmmakers and Submissions
rules and submissions
- The entrant/submitter/moviemaker hereby certifies that he possesses the right(s) and all of the proper clearances to submit the movie, including, but not limited to image rights, talent releases, soundtrack and/or source music releases; and assumes all responsibility for their material. The CINALFAMA AWARDS accepts no responsibility, financial or otherwise, for any movie submitted to the festival.
- Every entry/submission will be judged based on its directing, acting, technical, and artistic merits, as related to the submission. All decisions made by the judge(s) are considered final and incontestable. We reserve the right not to give all of the possible awards if we don’t receive enough entries in a particular category or if none of the submissions meet our high judging standards. If we deem it appropriate, additional categories of awards may be presented as well.
- The Cinalfama Awards only accept online screeners. Please submit them via one of the following online platforms: ClickforFestivals, Fest Home, Film Freeway, Withoutabox, Cineport or Movibeta. We do not accept discs or any downloadable files.
- Entry fees are nonrefundable.
- Multiple entries are allowed. You can submit more than one film to the same category. Any entry will be considered eligible in the next edition only if the film was not awarded in the previous edition.
- Submissions in languages other than English must be subtitled in English.
- We accept every kind of film released after 2012.
- We consider short films to be up to 30 minutes and medium or feature films to be 30 minutes or more.
- Access to ECU Paris International Festival. We are working together and all our selected winners will deserve a privileged selection viewing. Our multi-awarded film “The Elusive” is the first one to deserve that privilege and win the best directing award. Many more opportunities will come in the future.
- Cinalfama reserves the right to disqualify any film whose submitter might be in any way linked to illicit or criminal acts, proven or otherwise.
Withoutabox logos are trademarks of Withoutabox, a DBA of IMDb.com Inc. or its affiliates.
We encourage committed filmmakers to submit via FilmFestivalLife. With monthly subscriptions and pro accounts FilmFestivalLife is the smartest way to save money with a strategic approach. Join the platform where award-winning filmmakers and quality festivals meet.
- The selected, nominated and awarded movies promotional material will be announced and viewable in our site (http://www.cinalfama.com) and in our social media pages. If the submitter willingly allows it can be integrally displayed.
- The participants will not get feedback unless they submit their entry with a review request.
- All the films awarded in the bimonthly sessions will compete in the annual event and the best of each category screened once more in September’s 18 Annual Cinalfama Awards, with media coverage. The films awarded in Lisbon’s annual ceremony will receive a Flight Voucher Prize and a Trophy.
- The nominated and winner rightful owners of the rights, in each category and every edition, hereby authorise the film’s live screening in the Cinalfama Sessions. This authorisation is an indispensable condition for the inclusion in the festival’s official selection.
- There can be, if the jury by its own quality so decides, two winners ex aequo in any of the categories.
- The official selection is composed by the nominated films, four in each category in every edition, plus the honorable mentions.
These are the categories for the monthly and yearly awards nominees:
BEST MEDIUM OR FEATURE FILM
BEST SHORT FILM
BEST MUSIC (Score or Song)
For this specific award only the entries who meet the following criteria are considered:
a) Having entered the credit information concerning the work’s authorship.
b) Musical works that have been produced or composed expressly for the film.
c) Music used with author permission.
d) Music used from public domain
BEST ACTING (Female or Male)
BEST DEBUT FILM
- Two awards will be given annually:
“City in Film Award” – best film around the theme
Public’s Choice Award – voted by the public in the Lisbon annual award ceremony
Cinalfama’s juri is composed of experienced professionals that can also give you a professional and critical feedback on your work that will be made public on our site and social media.
Cinalfama sessions experience
Cinalfama is keen on having the filmmakers presenting their awarded work!
We would love to spend the day with you around our beautiful city.
The Cinalfama team will welcome our guests to a typical and delicious portuguese dinner in Alfama before the show begins.
After that we will head for “Tasca Beat” in the wonderful Rosário alley. A couple of drinks, cinephile conversations and the show begins.
A clip will introduce samples of the 4 “best music” nominees, and the winner track will lead and score the announcement and excerpts of all the nominees and winners.
Hopefully, the best short film and best Feature Film directors will join us to introduce their work and the cinema session officially begins!
We will try to set the tone for a spontaneous and informal conversation about the viewing.
The guest filmmakers will be accommodated for the evening right in the heart of historical Lisbon.