Filmmakers and Submissions
rules and submissions
- The entrant/submitter/moviemaker hereby certifies that he possesses the right(s) and all of the proper clearances to submit the movie, including, but not limited to image rights, talent releases, soundtrack and/or source music releases; and assumes all responsibility for their material. The CINALFAMA AWARDS accepts no responsibility, financial or otherwise, for any movie submitted to the festival.
- Every entry/submission will be judged based on its directing, acting, technical, and artistic merits, as related to the submission. All decisions made by the judge(s) are considered final and incontestable. We reserve the right not to give all of the possible awards if we don’t receive enough entries in a particular category or if none of the submissions meet our high judging standards. If we deem it appropriate, additional categories of awards may be presented as well.
- The Cinalfama Awards only accept online screeners. Please submit them via one of the following online platforms: ClickforFestivals, Fest Home, Film Freeway, Movibeta or Withoutabox. We do not accept discs or any downloadable files.
- Entry fees are nonrefundable.
- Multiple entries are allowed. You can submit more than one film to the same category. Any entry will be considered eligible in the next edition only if the film was not awarded in the previous edition.
- Submissions in languages other than English must be subtitled in English.
- We accept every kind of film released after 2010.
- Final film entry’s deadline is on the last day of the month previous to the Edition. For example, the September 2016 Edition’s final deadline is on the 31th of August. Selected nominated films will be made public and notified on the first days of the month and winners will be announced on the live screening Cinalfama Sessions.
- We consider short films to be up to 50 minutes and feature films to be 50 minutes or more.
- Access to ECU Paris International Festival. We are working together and all our selected winners will deserve a privileged selection viewing. Our multi-awarded film “The Elusive” is the first one to deserve that privilege and win the best directing award. Many more opportunities will come in the future.
Withoutabox logos are trademarks of Withoutabox, a DBA of IMDb.com Inc. or its affiliates.
We encourage committed filmmakers to submit via FilmFestivalLife. With monthly subscriptions and pro accounts FilmFestivalLife is the smartest way to save money with a strategic approach. Join the platform where award-winning filmmakers and quality festivals meet.
- The selected, nominated and awarded movies promotional material will be announced and viewable in our site (http://www.cinalfama.com) and in our social media pages. If the submitter willingly allows it can be integrally displayed.
- The participants will not get feedback unless they submit their entry with a review request.
- The films awarded in the Lisbon yearly ceremony will receive a trophy.
- A list of 8 prizes are awarded every two months and announced live in the Cinalfama Awards Sessions where the winners in the “Best Feature” and “Best Short” categories will be screened live. All the bimonthly winners will also compete in the Annual Awards awarded live in the Lisbon main event in September 2017.
- The nominated and winner rightful owners of the rights, in each category and every edition, hereby authorise the film’s live screening in the Cinalfama Sessions. This authorisation is an indispensable condition for the inclusion in the festival’s official selection.
- There can be, if the jury by its own quality so decides, two winners ex aequo in any of the categories.
- The official selection is composed by the nominated films, four in each category in every edition, plus the honorable mentions.
These are the categories for the monthly and yearly awards nominees:
BEST FEATURE FILM
BEST SHORT FILM
BEST MUSIC (Score or Song)
For this specific award only the entries who meet the following criteria are considered:
a) Having entered the credit information concerning the work’s authorship.
b) Musical works that have been produced or composed expressly for the film.
c) Music used with author permission.
d) Music used from public domain
BEST ACTING (Female or Male)
BEST DEBUT FILM
- Two awards will be given annually:
“City in Film Award” – best film around the theme
Public’s Choice Award – voted by the public in the Lisbon annual award ceremony
Cinalfama’s juri is composed of experienced professionals that can also give you a professional and critical feedback on your work that will be made public on our site and social media.
Cinalfama sessions experience
Cinalfama is keen on having the filmmakers presenting their awarded work!
We would love to spend the day with you around our beautiful city.
The Cinalfama team will welcome our guests to a typical and delicious portuguese dinner in Alfama before the show begins.
After that we will head for “Tasca Beat” in the wonderful Rosário alley. A couple of drinks, cinephile conversations and the show begins.
A clip will introduce samples of the 4 “best music” nominees, and the winner track will lead and score the announcement and excerpts of all the nominees and winners.
Hopefully, the best short film and best Feature Film directors will join us to introduce their work and the cinema session officially begins!
We will try to set the tone for a spontaneous and informal conversation about the viewing.
The guest filmmakers will be accommodated for the evening right in the heart of historical Lisbon.